Structural Edits to the Work in Progress

Interestingly enough, my current Work in Progress has zombies in it. If you have read other entries in this blog, you know how much I insist on hating zombie stories, and I do.

So, I wouldn't call this a zombie story in the ideological sense. As we learned in the third episode of Life: Narrated, our podcast, zombies are used to complain about social woes with impunity. Anything from capitalism, to immigration, to kids spending too much time on their smart phones. (if you haven't listened already, you should! It's interesting.)

But this story brings the zombie back to the basics, I guess. Where there's a necromancer whose in control and the zombie - in life a very important person who died under unclear circumstances - is used as a political pawn more than anything.

I'm halfway through my second pass at editing and as much as I love the story, there is going to have to be some serious structural edits in the next pass.

For instance. In the original, the necromancer is picked up by the army and they hitchhike to a secret military installation.

They hitchhike.

How secret could this military installation be if everyone keeps hitchhiking to it? Why would a seriously outfitted government agency not invest in a car? What kind of two-bit operation is this, anyway?

I honestly have no idea what I was thinking.

No, I do know what I was thinking, because I wrote that scene after hitchhiking on the back on an oil tanker - I was sitting literally on top of the tank - and thought, wow, this would be an awesome scene in a book.

But some things that happen in real life shouldn't go in novels because the details just stand out too much. Instead of focusing on the main point - which would be the military being interested in the necromancer - the reader will be like... but why are they hitchhiking? And why are they on an oil tanker?

All that aside, I haven't reached the 'Oh god why am I doing this? Is this terrible or awesome?' stage of editing, so I'm still feeling pretty chipper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Emily Ever 2014. Powered by Blogger.

featured-content

About Me

I am a legit writer living in Durham, North Carolina, working at a publishing company, and ruthlessly fumigate for travel bugs on a daily basis. Follow my adventures as I try to get published, learn marketing voodoo, and pretend to be an adult.

Other Blogs

I have traveled a lot in the past teaching English and just being a general vagabond, so I have some blogs in my past. I will be consolidating them all - slowly but surely - into a single blog:

No Cilantro Extra Olives

This blog already contains my adventures in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, such as they are.

Updates on my other blogs, from Korea to India will be posted as I go through the laborious process of pulling them from their current blogs into that one.

Blog Archive

Followers

Twitter